How to stay warm and safe as the weather turns cold
Fire Captain Brick Lewis says that using a space heater should be a last resort to stay warm.
James Moses Truesdale died in a house fire last month that was started by a space heater.
By: Thomas Gruel
Fire safety has become a primary concern for the Columbia Fire Department as the weather begins to turn colder in the Midlands.
"It's simple things that we can all follow that we get lax on," said Captain Brick Lewis. "We are approaching colder weather and the holidays and we are seeing an increase in home heating safety issues."
Lewis said that using space heater in your home should be a last resort to keep warm. If you must use a space heater, it's vital to keep the three feet around the space heater clear of flammable material, as well as pets and small children.
The Columbia Fire Department also says that in the event of a fire, smoke alarms could save lives. They suggest testing your alarms once a month and changing the batteries once a year.
"Most importantly you always want to have a fire escape plan, no matter what time of year," Lewis said.
While the Columbia Fire Department is preparing to help in the case of an emergency, they stress that by taking a few steps and being careful, people in the Midlands can prevent fires.