Lexington county divided over penny tax issue - DatelineCarolina

Lexington county divided over penny tax issue

Posted:
There are signs all over the county encouraging people to vote yes or no There are signs all over the county encouraging people to vote yes or no
Clyde Smith owns Carpet One in Lexignto and says that if they don't try something, nothing is going to happen Clyde Smith owns Carpet One in Lexignto and says that if they don't try something, nothing is going to happen

By: Nichelle Torres

Lexington has been a county divided in recent weeks all over the Penny Tax proposal. Backers say the proposal to increase the county's sales tax will create safer roads and generate funding for small businesses in the community as well as recreational facilities.

But residents can't seem to agree on whether or not the penny tax is beneficial.

Clyde Smith owns Carpet One in Lexington. He says he has advocated the penny tax for over 20 years. He is also apart of the traffic committee and says something must be done now.

"It's an investment in our future, for our children and our grandchildren. If we don't do it now, all its going to do is get worse." Smith says." 

 The tax will generate around $300 million over the next eight years if passed on Tuesday.

Jerry Kirkland is a native of Lexington and says that the proposal isn't giving all of the facts.

"The tax that they are going to do I saw was 86 percent of it goes to roads and highways, but where is the other 14 percent going?"

This program has been implemented in other counties in South Carolina such as Aiken, Charleston, Horry, Marion, Newberry, Orangeburg, and York Counties to address infrastructure needs.

Before you head to the polls on Tuesday, voters should read the proposal which is nine pages long.  If passed the tax will last until 2023.

Click here for more information on proposed projects.

Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2019 USC. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.
CAROLINA REPORTER