Police report fire in apartment complex was caused by meth lab, neighbors had previously tried to alert authorities
Information Officier Jasak says Richland County has been working hard on the case since it was discovered on Saturday.
The crime scene is still being searched for any evidence that will lead police to the culprits.
By Shana Bethea
Fire investigators have determined a weekend fire at a town house near Two Notch Road was caused by people cooking meth.
Columbia Fire Department responded to the Huntington Park apartment Saturday. The fire that started on the second story of an town home caused over $15,000 in damages.
Neighbors reveal they had previously contacted the police because they were suspicious of the tenant's behavior.
"I had my suspicions and we had our management company, had them contact the [Drug Enforcement Administration] but they said they couldn't come because they they didn't have....just cause." said a neighbor who wished to remain anonymous.
Another neighbor who called the fire department reports she first went to the door after she noticed the smoke. She said the man who lives in home ran to his car and fled.
Richland County Sheriff's Department spokesman, Katelyn Jasak, said that the case is now an open investigation with a few leads.
"We have two suspects right now. We have been working with a few leads and pretty confident we are following the right direction," said Jasak.
Police are not releasing the names of the suspects but said they will be looking at drug related and arson charges.
If anyone has any information related to the case, the police urge them to contact their Crime Stoppers division at 1-888-CRIME-SC or leave a tip at the Richland County Website.