Students are amazed at how quick a dorm room can catch fire. - DatelineCarolina

USC Students are amazed at how quick a dorm room can catch fire.

Posted:
Fire Marshall Todd Griffin says students need to keep outlets clear and free of clutter to prevent fires. Fire Marshall Todd Griffin says students need to keep outlets clear and free of clutter to prevent fires.
Fresham Natalie Hungate says its imporant for students to know about fire safety. Fresham Natalie Hungate says its imporant for students to know about fire safety.

 By: Iesha Marshall

USC students were shocked to see how quickly their dorm room could go up in flames on Thursday.

The Columbia Fire Department built a mock dorm room and set it on fire for Fire Safety Awareness Day.

The demonstration showed how common items like hair dryers and laptops can easily spark and catch flammable items on fire.

Fire marshals inspect dorms and some of the fire hazards they look for are ones students use everyday.

 "A lot of times we find these little small home use extension cords. Those are really bad as far as shortening out and providing a spark." said Todd Griffin

Educating students on fire safety is the Fire Marshall's first priority.

Freshman Natalie Hungate stays in a dorm and says the event was helpful.

"It's really important for them to come out here and support us so that we know in a case of emergency exactly what to do and where we should go." said Hungate.

The event also included other activities for students that informed them about fire safety.

"I've never used a fire extinguisher before and so it was really cool to be able to have that opportunity to use one and know how to work one." said Hungate.

They hope students will take the safety precautions to heart and keep USC a fire free campus.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2019 USC. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.
CAROLINA REPORTER