- Is there another way to get rid of debris?
- Is it recyclable?
- Gather tools you need.
- Divide large piles into small piles.
- Is someone available to help?
- Don't burn near homes or other structures.
- Have a plan.
Understand the laws about burning:
- SC Code of Laws Section 48-35-10
- "Starting a fire in woodlands, grasslands and other places shall be unlawful unless certain precautions are taken."
- This includes notifying the SC Forestry Commission prior to burning
Respect the Weather:
- Check weather forecasts
- How long has it been since the last rainfall?
- Any high or gusty winds?
- What is the wind direction?
- Where will the smoke travel?
Never Leave your fire:
- Watch for sparks
- Pay attention to smoke
- Make sure its dead before you leave
- If in doubt...put it out.
Call the Richland County Forestry Commission For More Tips and Rules: 1-800-517-9638
or Click Here to see the laws on outdoor burning.