Technician Brian Orman inspects a heater for dangerous leaks or cracks.
By: Kelsie Weekes
Cooler temperatures in Columbia are forcing many people to turn up the heat. But heating system repairmen warn that your natural gas heating system may pose a life-threatening danger.
Airwaves Heating and Air service technician Brian Orman says that cracks in your system can cause deadly carbon monoxide to leak into your home.
"If I come out and I find a cracked heat exchange, I have to shut down the whole unit. I'm not even allowed to do service here," Orman says. "It's very important because carbon monoxide poisoning can actually kill you."
Orman checks the exhaust pipes and burners, and makes sure there is not a gas leak during routine inspections. He says many homeowners are not aware of the risk involved with turning their heater on after months of not using it.
The government offers a 15 percent tax credit on heating and air services with the arrival of the coldest temperatures all year. The offer is valid until the end of December.